Saturday, October 31, 2009

My Caprese Salad

I've called this 'My Caprese Salad' becuase i have no idea how authentic this salad is. I made this salad once when i bought all of the ingredients for a bruscetta only to find that the ciabatta bread had mold spores on it. 


Regardless, this is my favorite salad. I could eat it every day; it combined my favorite elements of Italian cuisine: basil, olive oil, and tomatoes. And it's dead easy to make. 


Note: This salad hinges on every ingredient. Only buy the best vine ripened tomatoes, and forget about this salad in winter. The better the mozarella the better .


Ingredients: (per serve)
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 a large Buffalo Mozarella ball
  • 1 handful basil
  • 1/4 a red onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper


Method:
Chop the basil and add to a mortar and pestle with the garlic, a pinch of salt and a teason of olive oil. Grind into a paste.


Slice the mozarella and tomato into 5mm thick pieces. 
Very thinly shave the onion into rings.


Layer the ingredients on a plate as follows: tomato, mozarella, dot of basil, onion.
Repeat until all ingredients are on plate
Season with pepper and a dash of olive oil over the top. 


Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails