Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baked Eggs with Tomato & Chorizo


I'm not a big breakfast person. Every work day my breakfast consist of 1/3 cup of instant oats, 1/2 cup milk, microwaved in a mug for 120 seconds on high. Sacrilege i know, for someone who loves his food so much! The idea of eggs benedict, of Canadian short stacks and even champagne and roast chicken brunches is so alluring, but when i grumble my way out of bed in the morning my stomache just wants its cardboard porridge to start the morning.

But every now and again the mouth wins out and i'm taken on a journey to seek out an indulgent weekend breakfast. This time the catalyst was my parents' going to brunch in Warrandyte. So i rolled up me sleeves and decided to make my own! Now THIS is my kinda breakfast.





Ingredients (serves... me!)

  • 1/2 chorizo sausage
  • 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • Parsley, to garnish
  • 1 tbsp oil plus a bit extra for brushing the bread
  • 2 slices bread 
  • 1/2 clove garlic

Method

Preheat oven to 160 degrees
Chop the parsley, quarter the tomatoes and thinly slice the chorizo

Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat
Add the garlic and saute until golden

Add the tomatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes until broken down

Add the cumin and season with salt and pepper
Pour the mixture into a ramekin and mix in the chorizo sausages

Make a well in the centre of the mixture and crack the egg into it

Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes or until done to your liking
Meanwhile heat a griddle over high heat.
Brush the bread with oil and grill both sides

Sprinkle the baked eggs with parsley
Serve and eat by spooning the baked eggs over the bread and devouring!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for this......
    Just googled random ingredients I had in my fridge and discovered your blog!
    Just had this for lunch at it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to know it turned out well! Now i'm thinking i'll have this for lunch too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails