I am proud to be an Australian. I think that my county is a beautiful one, with beautiful landscapes, animals, cities, waters, flora, food and people. Some of my favorite things about Australia include:
- Our flag. I really like the Aussie flag. I guess the powers that be said that if we're getting a really bad national anthem, we should get a nice flag to compensate.
- Australian bluntness. I could not imagine calling my boss 'sir' at work. Or having to hide my opinions and defer to the natural order of seniority. Aussies tell it like it is. Go us!
- Multiculturism. Being a closet asianophile (maybe not so closeted) i love that we have such diversity in our city centres. This is something we need to realize and embrace, because at the moment, we're not doing a good job here.
- Australian food. Tim tams. Vegemite. Lamingtons. Cherry Ripe bars. Pavlova. Meat pie and sauce. Barbeques. Not only to we have all of these daggy things, but we have amazing examples of every other cuisine, all over the place.
This recipe is what Australia Day would be all about... if it were designed by the gay director of a Rock Eisteddford act.
Ingredients (Makes around 20 lamingtons)
- 125gm butter
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups coconut, dessicated
- 1 packet of raspberry jelly
- 1 packet of blueberry jelly
- 250ml cream
- 2 tbsp sugar for the filling
- 1 tsp vanilla for the filling
- 1/2 jar jam